Monday, May 29, 2023

Post 566 - Testing the "Free" video editor in Windows 10

Well, this took a while to discover, but there is a reason - I had been so disappointed with the Windows Movie Makers for the past several iterations that when my "newish" system came with Win10 instead of my preferred Win7 (as hoped), I didn't even bother looking for it.

This morning, I had a few moments to clear out the garbage in my temp folders, etl files, and generally re-evaluate what programs were on the machine, and I came upon the latest(ish) version of their Movie Maker, which comes with some basic dumbed down effects, but lacks even basic scene or photograph transition functions.  

So I gave it a 30-second test, then dragged the results - of course, Windows video output only - into my usual software, the equally approaching relic status called Vegas 16, to trim and add shot dissolves.  

The effects gave me insight where a lot of recent festival films have been getting their visual "plusses."

So, in lieu of anything useful, here's that short bit of fluff:


2023 Jim Middleton, The Animating Apothecary


No comments: