Sunday, May 02, 2021

Addition Exercise

Question:  28 + 47  (show your process)

I pour a cup of coffee, drink half, add 50 to 28 and get 78. 

Then I have another third of a cup of coffee, subtract 3 from 78, because 47 is 3 less than 50, and get 75, then I finish the coffee, wondering how much I had of a third of a half, but feel satisfied that I completed a whole cup of coffee, which leaves me with zero coffee. 

Then I get more coffee. And then my cup is 100% coffee and that makes me smile. 

Otherwise, I'd add 7 to the 8, get 15, carry the one and make the two a three, add it to the four and get seven. 

Then I think I should have written it all down because now I have a 7 and a 15 and I'm carrying a 3 that is really a 2, 

Then I think I'm 9 years to 75, and doggone it, where the heck did I put that cup of coffee!?!?!?

(c) 2021 Jim Middleton, The Animating Apothecary

No comments: